Friday, November 25, 2011

Movie Buzz: Melancholia

So I hadn't heard about the film Melancholia until last week. I've always been a fan of it's star, Kirsten Dunst, possibly because she's the celebrity I most resemble (with the right haircut/color). Do you have a special place for any  stars just because someone said you look like that individual?
This is the latest from Danish filmmaker Lars von Trier (Dancer in the Dark) who wrote and directed the film. The pitch: "A beautiful movie about the end of the world." Most reviews claim it to be a beautiful film but they're mixed as to whether the film is successful in delivering romanticism or psychological disaster. 


The film centers on two sisters and as a result has two parts. The first centers on the gloomy Justine, played by Dunst, on the day of her wedding to Michael (Alexander SkarsgĂ„rdTrue Blood). A far cry from her usually upbeat roles, this one shows her subtlety and range. She embodies much of von Trier himself, a self proclaimed melancholiac, and even pulled from personal depressive experiences. As a strange planet hurls toward Earth, Justine finds herself getting stronger, possibly because she's always longing for an undefinable something and therefore has nothing to lose. 


The second half of the film focuses on Claire, the "normal" sister, unraveling as the end of world draws closer. Claire, played by Charlotte Gainsbourg (21 Grams), actually has something to lose if the world ends - her son (Cameron Spurr). She and husband John (Kiefer Sutherland, 24), play host to the Justine's wedding at their waterfront castle and ultimately take in the sister after a disastrous reception.
I'm curious to see how the film actually plays out and might just be one of those films that you want to see on your own. Then again, I'll probably want to discuss it with someone... I'll cross my fingers that it piques the bf's curiousity too! Please, if you see it, let me know what you thought - I'd love to hear. I've included the trailer for those that I've already intrigued and/or confused. 


Other interesting reads on this film: the Interview on the the film's website plus this review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment